The biggest rip off on campus  

Posted by AKH

It's only 10:45am on Thursday and it's already been a fairly busy day. Today was the first day that you could sell your books back to the bookstore. So I decided that I would get up 15 minutes earlier than I normally do so I would have extra time to get to the bookstore to get rid off all of my textbooks. I stumbled out of bed at 8am to shower and hop on the bus and I got to the bookstore around 8:30ish. I was seriously the only one in the store. So I went over to the counter they had set up for buying back books and the guy started to scan the books back into the system.

Let me say that I wasn't expecting much money to begin with, having heard that the bookstore was the biggest rip off on campus. I spent somewhere between $250 and $280 on books at the beginning of the semester. Any guesses as to how much they gave me for all of them?

...

...

$30.50. And I had to keep one of them (one of my English books, but it's ok because they took the one I didn't like. Sorry N. Katherine Hayles).

I just don't understand how the hell they can sell all of these books for such high prices, and then when you turn them back in at the end of the semester, they're worth practically nothing. I bought my biology book from the bookstore used for $116, and they gave me $10 for it. Somehow that doesn't seem quite right to me. To anyone else selling back books, good luck and I hope you do better than I did.

One final down, two more to go.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 10:43 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I am planning on putting them on Amazon and selling them that way. I also am selling at least one of my books to a friend who is taking the class next semester. (math)

I had to spend 500 dollars on books this semester, so I am hoping to get at least a portion of it back, guess I am not even going to look at the bookstore to see what I could get from them.

December 11, 2008 at 1:56 PM

I think no matter what you do you are gonna get ripped off no matter how good the condition of the books. So lame.

December 11, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Most of my books can't be sold back. So that sucks.

Were you trying to sell 26 lies/ 1 truth?

December 14, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Post a Comment