Final Project  

Posted by AKH

I decided to be boring and un-creative and do a paper for my final project. Combined with everything else going on, I figured that this would be the best option for me. I took the question "What is Literature?" and applied it to the readings that we've had in this class.

Here's a few snippets:

"In my opinion, literature is written, and should be read. The word ‘literature’ is related to words like literacy, and literate. These words suggest reading, and the ability to read. Therefore literature is something that we read. However, that does not mean that everything we read can be considered as literature. The marquee in front of a movie theater is not literature. An exit sign on the highway is not literature. We can read Pride and Prejudice or the sign in front of the local theater, but what distinguishes one as literature and the other as something else is the content."

"...These new and virtually unlimited possibilities call in to question what we view as literature. Is it possible for a work that is made solely with a computer and is meant to be viewed via computer to have the same literary value as one of Shakespeare’s sonnets?"

I didn't think that Slice or Inanimate Alice could be considered literature and went on to explain my reasoning. For an example of literature from the class I used Lasting Image and said why I considered it to be literature.

Thoughts? Opinions?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment