Final Project  

Posted by M. Haji Bigman

For my my final project, I decided to create a digital work similar to Slice. As a work in progress, the most difficult problem I find is polishing and developing a believable story. So I started to think, what makes me believe an author of the interweb?

Seriously, I find myself believing quite a lot these days. Its as if the internet is my encyclopedia and the authors are experts. But it isn't, and they aren't. If anything, a digital work that appears to be truth, can in reality be nothing but a lie created by someone who doesn't even exist.

It's funny to think about how people are willing to believe so much on the internet, especially if it is from a "reputable" website like news.yahoo.com or maybe sciam.com. But unlike fact checked paper, digital stories require trust.

So, that lead me to formulate the hypothesis that if a website seems clear, consise, and desketchified, we as a society are far more likely to believe its claims.

But alas, as with all things that happen in my mind, I get lost in tangents and tangle with tidbits. But what are your opinions? Is there something that you look for when you are reading something fascinating on the internet to determine if it is real or there is any fact behind it? How much do you trust the author?

This entry was posted on Sunday, December 7, 2008 at 11:19 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Ahh, your final project seems awesome compared to my digital story I'm making. I wish I had the knowledge to make something like that of Slice. And the answers to your questions, I immediately trust an author when he's writing something. Just as long as its not that outlandish, I will believe everything that the author says. I don't know, maybe I trust people too much. I've often been told that....

December 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Post a Comment