Alan and My Shoes  

Posted by AKH

I really liked how the Digital Storytelling incorporates images, music/sounds, and narration into a single story. I think that this is a very effective way of communicating a story to someone. In my high school music department, every year the seniors in the dept. put together a presentation quite similar to the ones from the Center for Digital Storytelling - we all record a message, thanking friends, family, and the directors, and then that narration is over-laid with music and pictures or videos. It's quite a bit longer than 3-4 minutes though. 


The stories I particularly like were "Health - Alan", "Education - M.S.K. Running", and "Community - My Shoes". In a story like "Health - Alan", it seems to be very common for the narrator to have a family member or a friend who is diagnosed with some horrible disease, and then go on at length about how they feel responsible and how they wish that they had done more before they found out. However, in this case, the narrator (Albert) is very concise and straightforward when it comes to talking about his brother, Alan and finding out he was diagnosed with MS. He conveys his emotions without being maudlin. When Albert describes how he was feeling the night Alan died, he never outright says that he died, but by knowing the style that the story is told in, and by getting to know the narrator, it's very obvious.

The way the author adds pictures into the story really adds to the overall effect. By showing the photos of their home, where they were going to school, and family/individual portraits, we get a glimpse into the lives of the characters in the story and it gives the story more depth. Seeing Alan's school picture and hearing his brother talk to him is very sentimental and touching to the reader. Out of the six stories told, "Health - Alan" was my favorite, with "Community - My Shoes" being my second.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 5:30 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

The story that spoke to me the most was "My Shoes". Maybe it was just because she really did try and help you empathize with what she had withstood from various groups of people. I really felt like I was in her shoes through most of the story. The narrations and music, did really make all of the stories come alive.

September 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Post a Comment