What are you going to do with French?  

Posted by AKH

I hate this question. 


I've declared myself as a French major. After taking all of the French classes that my high school offered as well as AP French, I've grown to love the language and foreign languages in general. However, my problem is not what I love to do, it's what I can DO with what I love. Before I graduate college, I want to learn a few more languages, but it's not going to do me any good if when I graduate all I can say is WOOHOO I know 5 languages...yeah that's all well and good, but what else can you do?  There are plenty of people who can speak tons of language, but they all can do other things too which make their language(s) very beneficial.

So I don't know what I want to do. I applied to UVM as a business major, but quickly decided that was crap and switched to French. I don't really want to be a teacher, and I don't want to sit at a desk from 9am-5pm for the next 40 years of my life. I'd love to be a translator or do translating work, but most people who are in that field have been bi or tri-lingual since birth. 

Maybe I'll do communications with French, or advertising or graphic design for a French company...who knows? I just wish it was a little easier to figure out. I hate not knowing what to do, or which direction to go in, which just gets me even more stressed out.

Like I said, I hate this question. 

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 7:13 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

You could always move to France, or Montreal, or somewhere else where they speak mostly French, and be an English teacher. Cosmic how that works sometimes... I wish I had more of a knack for languages. I can remember vocabulary fairly well but the forms and grammar of anything other than english seem to elude me. By the way, I thought the image of someone being bi- or tri-lingual from birth was really funny. Just picturing a neonate spewing out sentences and then translating them back and forth between languages... Made me chuckle.

Congratulations on declaring a major though. That's a milestone or something.

September 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I actually feel the exact same way as you do. I came into UVM as a history major thinking that I wanted to become a history teacher. Even though that is still a pretty good possibility, if i do end up changing my mind i feel like there isn't much to do with a major in history. THAT is why i just recently decided to change my major to public communications. Hopefully you figure out your situation though.

September 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM

I just wanted to comment because your major does not have to be your career. Majoring in something like french is good because you could work as a translator in many different places or just go to graduate school in a completly diffent subject. For instance many history majors become lawyers. Your major is not what your life has to be.

September 17, 2008 at 8:25 PM

You're lucky that at least you know what you like to do and could possibly see yourself doing that in the future. You could be in my boat where you have NO idea what you like or want to do for the rest of your life whatsoever.
I was also thinking about doing a major in some sort of language, but like you said, I wouldn't want to become a teacher. Do you like traveling at all? Because maybe being a teacher of english wouldn't be that bad. I mean going to South Korea with a pre-paid house and health care doesn't seem that bad. And I hear they pay really well! :)

September 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM

I wanted to major in French, but I encountered the same issues. What good is a degree in a modern language? You can only teach and/or translate. To teach you would have to not kill your students. I would totally murder them. So that's out.

To translate you have to be willing to accept that the people you translate for will never view you as a real person and you will be little more than a body-temperature translation device. End of story. I like being a person.

So I am a chemistry major. I don't even really like science, but this way I can be a doctor and make lots of money, right? Then at least I can travel to France...

September 18, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Post a Comment