Another Creepy Alice?  

Posted by AKH

Is there something about the name Alice that is just inherently creepy?! "Slice" was similar to Alice in Wonderland...now this inanimate alice...it's all just weird.

...now that I think about it, I knew a girl in high school named Alice and she was a weirdo...but I digress...

When I read Inanimate Alice, I'll admit I was kind of confused at different points as to what was going on. I felt like I was missing something during multiple sections. I really can't put my finger on what exactly about Inanimate Alice I didn't like. I think the idea is kind of cool but it falls short for me...maybe it was the layout, maybe it was the ambiguity...I don't know. It's not among my favorite readings that we've done. I felt like I was waiting for something to jump out at me, especially in "Hometown" when she was making her way through the labyrinth-esque warehouse. Since I'm not at ALL a fan of horror movies, I didn't particularly like this aspect. I did think it was clever to include a mini-game within the story.

SPEAKING of a labyrinth...

I've decide that the Patrick Gym is like a freakin' maze....not laid out well at all. If any of you have been in the gym, you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm in a fitness class that meets in the Patrick Multipurpose Room, and the first time that I went to the class, it was waaay to complicated just to get to this room. Go down the stairs, follow the hallway, go up another set of stairs, follow the signs to the gym, go through the gym, go up another set of stairs, and finally I got to the room. Same goes for the ice rink. I have pep band practice at the rink. If you go through the back of the gym, near the fitness center, it's easy to get to. But if you go in the front door the directions sound a lot like the directions to get to the multipurpose room. You would think that if so many people are going to be using this facility that they would make the layout much more user-friendly.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 9, 2008 at 3:28 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

hahaha. yea, the first day I tried to get to the gym to workout, I was lost for 30 minutes. Not to mention the random doors that are locked so that you can go through them but can't get back in if you realize, like I did....twice, that you have gone the wrong way and now have to walk all the way around. That is unless someone is nice enough to show you the entrance to the gym.

October 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Post a Comment