Belly Dancing  

Posted by AKH

I'm not really an athletic person. Nor am I a slave to the gym and working out. In 18 years, I obviously haven't had any major issues, so I don't really feel the need to start changing that. However, I do exercise occasionally and feel better about myself by getting out and doing something somewhat physical. I used to play soccer, and I like to play tennis and ski.

I thought about joining a team/intramural sport here, but it didn't end up happening. Too much of a time commitment and not enough skill :) So I looked around the Campus Recreation website and found that the University offered various fitness classes. There was a weird type of yoga, self-defense (which I seriously considered), a few others, and then I stumbled across belly dancing. This was one of those things where I always thought it was cool, never had any exposure at all to it. So for $40 I decided why not-I'll give it a shot.

The class met for six weeks, and there were 10 or 12 of us in the class, depending on the day. Our instructor was really chill - she was very much into the dancing, how it's an art form, and very pro-female empowerment/getting in touch with yourself. It was really cool actually. We learned really basic moves like belly rolls, shimmies, and hip drops, and put together two different choreographies to help learn the moves. One day, the instructor brought in veils and belts that jingled so we got to play around with those. I really enjoyed the class and loved getting out once a week and doing something fun and stress free.

Here are a few videos of belly dancing courtesy of youtube. Generally, belly dancing is a solo dance for a woman...



...but men can do it as well...Personally I think the women are more impressive than the men...



for the record, I along with everyone else in my class, don't even come CLOSE to these people :)

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

whoa this is really cool! I didn't even know that we had classes on campus!
My cousin, who I just saw over vacation is actually a professional belly dancer. She does competitions and everything.
Maybe I can ask her about it and jump in a class next semester!

December 2, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Post a Comment